We’re hiring: Licensing and Commercialization Associate
August 8, 2017/in Latest News
Join the TDC Team at UHN!
Please apply online.
Site: MaRS – Heritage Building
Department: Technology Development & Commercialization (TDC)
Reports to: Team Lead, Licensing and Commercialization
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy
Status: Temporary Full-Time, 1 year contract
University Health Network (UHN) is Canada’s largest research hospital and has a proud history of innovative research and important discoveries. Researchers at UHN are focused on investigating the causes of numerous diseases and are developing new and better ways to treat them and deliver better care.
Technology Development and Commercialization (TDC) is the department at UHN that facilitates the transformation of hospital research innovations into medical products that improve healthcare outcomes. TDC works with research scientists and clinicians at UHN to create new intellectual property and negotiate licensing agreements, research and development partnerships, sponsored research agreements, service agreements, and new company formation. Hundreds of contracts, including Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs), Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDAs), and other Research and Commercial Agreements are processed at UHN by TDC every year.
The Licensing and Commercialization Associate will work collaboratively as part of the TDC team. Key responsibilities include supporting: TDC's activities primarily with Princess Margaret Cancer Centre/Research Institute; the negotiation of research, service, and other contracts, work closely with TDC’s Licensing & Commercialization Professionals/Principal, Legal and IP group, and Marketing and Operations; the development of a portfolio of inventions by contributing to the maintenance of relationships within the research community; the pursuit of potential licensing and commercialization partners/government for research funding and commercial development. The successful candidate will also be responsible for reviewing and drafting initial language for research commercialization agreements including responsibility for managing timely agreement completion; performing cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested.
Join the dynamic, growing and successful TDC Team!
• At minimum, completion of a Master’s degree in Oncology or a relevant Life Sciences discipline or recognized equivalent required; PhD or MBA highly preferred
• At minimum, 1 year practical and related experience or 1 year on the job training; 2 preferred
• Experience working in pharmaceutical or biotech business development, technology transfer, venture capital or related environment preferred
• Experience in the negotiation of research support, licensing and/or partnership deals preferred
• Experience with startup biotech companies in a business-related capacity preferred
• Industry experience and/or scientific background in a medical research area relevant to Oncology preferred
• Good capacity for understanding and evaluating detailed legal agreements required
• Good knowledge of patent and licensing practice required
• Good knowledge of biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and/or venture capital markets required
• Strong presentation skills required
• Knowledge of Internet patent and other database searches preferred
• Outstanding communication and collaboration and excellent client service skills required
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize while working under pressure with tight deadlines is required
• Self-starter with demonstrated history of taking initiatives is required
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and cover letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Posted Date: August 8, 2017 Closing Date: September 10, 2017
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.