Submissions & Templates

  • Online Documents
  • Confidential Disclosure
  • Material Transfer
  • Sponsored Research
  • Service
  • Invention Disclosure


  1. Intellectual Property Disclosure (IPD)
  2. Agreement: Material Transfers into UHN (MTA in)
  3. Agreement: Material Transfers from UHN (MTA out)


  1. For MTAs: Please ensure that you have either the completed UHN template (MTA out) or the providing party's template (MTA in) prior to submission of an MTA request to the Technology Development and Commercialization (TDC) Office. You will also need to provide Research Ethics Board (REB) approval for any MTA where REB approval is required. To select the appropriate MTA template for materials sent out from UHN, please go HERE
  2. For IPDs: all information is submitted online and a document, to be signed by all listed UHN inventors, is provided by the TDC Office shortly after the online submission.

To make a submission, please login HERE.

General instructions on how to submit online can be found HERE.

If you have any queries regarding Intellectual Property Disclosures (IPDs), or would like to provide comments or feedback regarding the online access, please call 18-7832 or send an email to

If you have any queries regarding MTAs, please call 18-8813 or send an email to

For ALL COMMERCIAL requests please contact us at



- Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA)

- Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA)

- Service Agreement (SA)

To obtain the CDA, SRA and SA agreement templates please refer to the respective tab above.


Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA) Template

A CDA is a legal contract that governs the sharing of confidential information. UHN's template CDAs ensure that disclosures in either direction, intended or otherwise, are covered by confidentiality.  A CDA needs to be in place before disclosing or receiving confidential information.


   CDAs are important because they:

  • Protect confidential information being shared. 
  • Outline and limit the purpose for which the information is being shared.
  • Preserve the ability to patent the invention(s) being disclosed.


To transfer and protect confidential information shared between two parties, please use UHN's  Confidential Disclosure Agreement template.  Once reviewed and signed, please email the partially signed CDA to the attention of TDC at

All CDAs involving UHN researchers must be reviewed by TDC.  Use of the UHN template will avoid delays in processing. Please contact TDC with any questions. ​



For all MTA requests, please contact


Sponsored Research Agreements (SRA)

Sponsored Research Agreements (SRAs) are used when industry, government or another non-academic third party (ie, the sponsor) wishes to work collaboratively with a UHN investigator, or team, to pursue a project of mutual interest, and is willing to provide financial support in pursuit of the project.        

The Sponsored Research Agreement template can be found here.

Both Service Agreements and Sponsored Research Agreements are subject to institutional overhead, at a rate of 40%.

Please contact TDC to discuss the details of your situation or interest in collaborative research at UHN.

Service Agreements (SAs)

SAs are used when industry, government or another non-academic third party (ie, the requestor) is looking to engage a UHN investigator, or team, to perform research tasks on behalf of the requestor. UHN investigators tend to prefer more collaborative arrangements, such as Sponsored Research Agreements.

The Service Agreement template can be found here.

Please contact TDC to discuss the details of your situation or interest in collaborative research at UHN.

Intellectual Property (Invention) Disclosure (IPD)

UHN’s Intellectual Property Policy (available to UHN employees while on the UHN network) requires employees to submit an Intellectual Property Disclosure (also known as an Invention Disclosure) to the TDC Office upon making a discovery or creating something with potential commercial value.

Examples include new therapeutics entities such as small-molecules, NCEs or biologics, diagnostic methods, medical devices, software, clinical tools or questionnaires.

By submitting an Invention Disclosure, you will enable the exploration of commercialization opportunities for your invention and legal protection for future marketability.

When should I file an Invention Disclosure?
 As soon as your invention or work can be clearly described.

 Prior to making any public disclosure of your work (e.g., abstract submission, poster presentation, journal publication, or thesis).

To submit an Intellectual Property Disclosure, please login HERE

Please contact the TDC Office at to discuss the details of your situation and to answer any questions you may have.